Monday 21 January 2013

My velvet 1970s Donny Osmond cap


Someone has been searching the internet for a photograph of a velvet Donny Osmond hat. Here you can see the genuine article: the author, Sophie Neville wearing a Donny Osmond hat bought at great expense in Carnaby Street, in London in 1970.

Author Sophie Neville in her Donny Osmond Hat on Coniston Water

The Donny Osmond hat was originally bought by my mother, Daphne Neville. She was working at a television presenter for HTV at the time and would wore it with a brown suede coat to present Women Only on location in Jersey. I wear it all the time. It is properly lined and doesn't mess up my hair.

Daphne Neville in 1973

My mother also had a cotton Donny Osmond hat with pink flowers, bought in Ambleside the Lake District in May 1973. Here she is with David Blagden, the transatlantic yachtsman who presented the televsion series Plain Sailing. This hat blew off when we were sailing and sunk to the bottom of Derwent Water but it was soon replaced by one with yellow flowers which my mother may still have. Daivid sadly died off Aldernay, when attempting another transatlantic crossing.


Here is rather a blurred version of the film director Claude Whatham wearing the Donny Osmond cap with yellow flowers. The movie actress Brenda Bruce is laughing at him in the background.

I'll see if I can find a few more photos. There are some on my Facebook page.

3 comments:

  1. Can I buy your velvet donny cap?
    susanquispe@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan,

      Do you really want to buy my Donny Osmond cap?
      I'm afraid that although bought in the 1970s and a genuine vintage item, it didn't belong to him.
      I find it very useful, wear it often and hadn't considered selling it, although you can always make me an offer.

      Have you seen the other Donny Osmond hats featured in my book 'The Making of Swallows & Amazons'.

      Delete
  2. Can I buy your velvet donny cap?
    susanquispe@aol.com

    ReplyDelete